ExpertFlyer provides frequent fliers with all available air travel information to make each trip they take as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Aggregating data in realtime from multiple third-party systems, ExpertFlyer is a one-stop source to make informed decisions when flying. Users can run comprehensive searches for flight availability, awards and upgrades, fares, seat maps and more. A proprietary alerting system can even notify users when flights or seats become available.
Gavant helped ExpertFlyer from the beginning to identify functional requirements and establish a development plan. Following an initial prototype, Gavant continued providing iterations of new functionality, adding new features and responding to customer feedback along the way.
ExpertFlyer is a SaaS web application, built from the ground up with an MVC-style architecture using the Java Struts framework. Extensive use of YUI and AJAX provide for a modern and responsive user experience. The system relies heavily on multithreading and caching for efficient communication with third-party systems. A web service layer is built on top to support mobile app clients and other third-party integrators.
The solution was deployed in Amazon's AWS cloud platform to provide a reliable and scalable infrastructure. The MySQL database runs in a master-slave configuration on dedicated servers. The application runs on Linux servers configured with Apache and Tomcat, sitting behind Amazon's elastic load balancer (ELB). The infrastructure as configured provides for horizontal scalability to grow and shrink dynamically based on user load and other configurable metrics.
SOAP and REST are used for communication with external systems like Sabre and Galileo for flight information and SeatGuru for seat characteristics. ExpertFlyer exposes its own web services to provide a REST-based API for 3rd party integrators who wish to incorporate ExpertFlyer's comprehensive data in their own initiatives. ExpertFlyer relies on this very API to service custom mobile apps written for iOS and Android devices.
“Gavant has always delivered us a great return in our development investment. When we started ExpertFlyer, we needed a company that could deliver high quality development work as well as project management expertise. Gavant has provided both high quality services year after year.”
- Subscription-based web application with comprehensive suite of air travel search tools
- Proprietary flight alert and seat alert functionality to be notified of flights and seats that become available
- Full-functioning mobile web interface built for new-generation touch devices and old-generation WAP browsers.
- Seat alerts mobile app built for iOS and Android phones and tablets
- Java, JSP/Servlet, JSTL
- XML/XSLT, JSON
- Apache Struts · MVC web framework
- iOS, Android
- Appcelerator Titanium · Mobile platform
- Jersey · REST web services
- Axis · SOAP web services
- JMeter · Automated testing
- Selenium · Automated testing
- JUnit · Unit testing
- Sabre GDS · Access travel data
- Galileo GDS · Access travel data
- Pathfinder-XML · Access travel data
- SeatGuru.com · Import seat data
- TSA · Import airport wait times
- FAA · Import airport notifications
- FlightStats · Import flight statistics
- Authorize.Net · Credit card billing
- Facebook · Social site integration